Partial Hospitalization Program
The Ultimate in Individualized and Personal Detox and Addiction Treatment
An Innovative Alternative to Residential Care
Partial hospitalization programs, commonly referred to as PHP, provide the most intensive level of non-residential care that is available within the EHN-Canada network of treatment programs. Individuals who have been struggling with addiction, mental health issues or and/or behavioral health disorders may benefit from PHP services.
Technically, withdrawal symptoms occur when your body and brain are deprived of a drug or alcohol that they have grown dependent on. The type, intensity and duration of withdrawal symptoms vary from one person to another and one substance or drug to another. The detox experience is always difficult and hard to tolerate. Completing detox in a safe, supervised environment is more effective than struggling alone and in fact, outcomes are improved and relapse is prevented with comprehensive medically supervised detox and drug rehab.
The goal of detox is to support people during withdrawal from drugs or alcohol through the use of medications used to decrease the symptoms of withdrawal and eliminate cravings for the drug or alcohol. According to experts in the field, medically supervised detox and the appropriate use of medications during detox dramatically increases the likelihood of successful detox while minimizing the discomfort of withdrawal and cravings.
The Whiterock Detox (detoxification) Program is unique because of the level of attention that is paid to individualized care. The Whiterock detox is available to clients who are looking for full medical detoxification/withdrawal management services from any and all prescription or illicit drugs and or alcohol.
Do I Qualify for PHP?
The PHP level of care is designed for clients who meet one of the two following criteria:
- Clients who have completed detox or residential treatment for addiction with or without a mental health or behavioral health issue and who can benefit from a structured level of step-down support as they transition to a more independent lifestyle.
- Clients whose addiction and mental health or behavioral needs do not rise to the level that requires the intensive nature of treatment that is provided at a detox or residential level of care.
Before PHP or Day Treatment begins, Whiterock staff will conduct an intake assessment and then will develop an individualized treatment plan based on the client’s unique situation including their addiction and any mental health issues.
The first and only one of its kind in BC, Whiterock’s PHP treats clients aged 19 years and older who have a primary addiction or Substance Use Disorder (SUD) and a co-occurring mental health issues and or chronic pain. Clients in PHP participate in a comprehensive treatment program where they will work closely with many different treatment professionals, including Physicians, Psychiatrists, Nurse Practitioners, Nurses, Social Workers, Registered Therapists, and others.
What does PHP look like?
Whiterock PHP treatment occurs daily. People typically attend PHP 3-5 days a week for about 4-6 hours each day (8:00am-3:00pm), while still residing at home. The PHP is a more intensive program than typical outpatient services may only meet once or twice a week.
The purpose of the PHP is to help clients re-enter their respective communities with continuing support from treatment staff and to provide a place to continue developing the skills learned during residential or more intensive treatment. Our modalities of treatment utilized in PHP Day Treatment include:
- Motivational Interviewing (MI)
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Relapse Prevention
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
Our PHP or Day Treatment Program mirrors our residential rehab program in many ways, including that fact that our PHP clients visit the Whiterock facility daily to participate in the program. Some people may be more likely than others to benefit from a PHP.
General Program Information
In general, a PHP is best for those who:
- Require close medical supervision.
- Need more support than traditional outpatient programs provide.
- Have stable housing and transportation.
- Have a strong support system at home.
- Have experienced problems with school or work performance.
During the mornings, PHP clients attend group therapy and in the afternoons, they attend psych-education groups, Cognitive Behavior Therapy and Dialectical Behavior Skills Groups and recreational and occupational therapies. The PHP typically lasts 30 days and programming runs for 4-6 hours per day. When clients are attending Whiterock’s PHP, they will partake in the following interventions:
- Individual therapy:PHP or Day Treatment clients have a minimum of one individual therapy session per week with their individual therapists and have the option of more frequent sessions if clinically necessary.
- Family therapy:We recognize that families are an important part of our clients’ recovery process. Clients in the PHP or Day Treatment have a minimum of one family session each week if clinically indicated and each client and family therapist will determine together if more sessions of family therapy would be helpful.
- Group therapy: Groups are led by our clinical staff and our medical staff, nurses, and occupational therapist all provide specialty groups. In addition to our normal groups, we provide 12-step groups through our alumni and members of outside 12-step groups.
- Medical services: Nurses and doctors are on staff to administer medication and treat physical complications from substance abuse.
- Medication management: Medication management is available for our PHP clients who require it. When used in conjunction with behavioral therapy or psychotherapies, medication can help to promote abstinent behaviors by decreasing cravings, blocking the rewarding effects of alcohol or certain drugs, and managing protracted withdrawal symptoms, such as anxiety, dysphoria, and insomnia
- Aftercare planning: Treatment teams prepare a person for discharge by creating an aftercare plan, which consists of relapse prevention tactics, such as support groups, 12-step programs, sober living homes, or group or individual counseling.
Upon completion of our PHP program, clients will work with staff to determine the most appropriate services that will enable them to stay well and prevent relapse once they have left Whiterock. Once someone completes a PHP, he or she may transition to a standard outpatient aftercare program that meets 1-2 times per week in order to maintain wellness and stability.